Thrasher Family Association Bylaws
Adopted May 2005; revised May 21, 2016
While originally founded by the southern branch of the Thrasher family who were primarily descended from John Thrasher and Ruth Cloud, today all Thrashers are welcome in the association, as well as those interested in Thrasher research.
Since this association’s purpose is to foster knowledge of previous generations while promoting friendship and kinship among current generations, organizational structure should be minimal.
The following bylaws define that structure:
1. Meetings shall be held annually at the Thrasher Family Association Reunion to elect officers and conduct any other business. Only dues-paying members may vote at these meetings.
2. Officers shall consist of a chairman, vice-chairman, recording secretary, and treasurer. These four officers shall serve as an advisory committee. Terms shall be for one year, with elections held at the annual Thrasher Family Association reunion. There shall be no term limit restrictions.
3. At each reunion, sites for the next reunion will be decided and volunteers sought to coordinate arrangements. As voted on 21 May 2016, a contribution of up to $300.00 in association’s funds can be paid to those volunteers as an “honorarium” to offset expenses connected with the reunion.
4. The chairman shall preside at the annual meeting and with other officers shall have the power to appoint any working committee that may be necessary from time to time. In the absence of the chairman, the vice-chairman will preside at the annual meeting.
5. The recording secretary shall take minutes at the annual meeting and at any meeting of the advisory committee. These minutes shall be published in the association’s newsletter.
6. The treasurer shall be responsible for receiving dues payments and depositing same in the association’s account, and from said association account shall pay any bills incurred by the association and shall present an annual report to the membership. The treasurer shall have the authority to approve and pay any obligations totaling $200.00 or less. Requested or suggested projects with a total cost of greater that $200.00 shall be presented to the membership at the annual meeting and shall be approved by at least 60% majority of those dues-paying member in attendance.
7. The fiscal year shall be from July 1 to June 30. Dues to the association shall be $20.00 per year unless a change is voted upon at an annual meeting. Each membership shall include a subscription to the Thrasher Family Newsletter and a copy of the year’s membership list.